Tuesday 7 February 2017

First Impressions of Derwent Artists Pencils


So let me set the scene. I'm in TK Maxx with a friend wandering around all the nik naks before we were about to leave. As I was having a casual browse through the clearance section I catch a glimpse of the Derwent logo underneath a couple of books. Hidden on the shelf was a tin of 72 Derwent Artist pencils for... wait for it... £25. Quickly I whip out my phone to price compare incase I was getting excited about nothing. The cheapest price I could find online for these pencils, which originally retail for £115, is £75. And so before I know it I'm clutching at this large tin with a death grip as if I think someones going to fight me for them. I even caused a whole bunch of glassware shelves to the rattle in fear as I walk by with tin.


If you've read any of my blog posts before you might be aware that last year I spent a good amount of time searching for my ideal coloured pencil - click here for blogs on derwent coloursoft and faber-castell polychromos - and in that search I briefly considered buying the derwent artists pencils but eventually settled on faber-castell polychromos which I absolutely love and highly recommend to anyone looking for a good quality coloured pencil that aren't so expensive you have to sell an organ. Even though I hadn't bought the derwent artists pencils back then I was always curious about them since I knew they where wax based (unlike the oil based polychromos) and are considered a harder leaded pencil meaning they are easier to sharpen to a point making detail work a charm.

Now that I have tried them out the first thing I will say is that I am so glad that I got
them at the price that I did because if I had invested full price for them I would be quite disappointed with their pigmentation quality. Not that they are bad pencils, they just don't have the colour pay off I would expect for the price you pay for them. Even though I knew they where hard, which is great for layering, the colours seem almost diluted and you have to work quite a bit harder to get anything nearer the vibrancy of what the colours on the end of the pencils claim to be.


Before I tried them out with an actual drawing I went through all the pencils and
sampled them to see if they where the same quality across the set. While doing this I found that a couple of colours where more colour true than others and even some felt like they had a slightly different texture. You'll notice a blue square that pops more than the others and when using that one the lead felt slightly softer which I prefered since I didn't have to lean as hard. Overall the darker colours where easier to use over the paler colours such as the yellows.

Even though I knew they where hard leaded pencils I still expected to be able to eventually build up the colour but before I even got to the colour I expected the wax starts to build up making it hard to add more layers leaving you with a slightly faded colour that can go no further- you'll be able to see this with my bug drawing. I will say though that I tested these pencils at first on paper with little to no tooth (the WHSMITH basic sketch pads) which could have some part to play with this issue. When I eventually tried the pencils on paper with more tooth the colours seemed to pop a little more and I noticed it was very important to keep the pencil sharp in order to layer the colours correctly.  

If you look closely you will see the pencil has taken on an unusually hairy sort of texture.
I will continue to use these pencils mainly because they are so easy to use for detailed, light work, but what I think people need to know about them is they have limitations to what they can do. If you're going for a subtle look they are ideal but if you want to pack a punch with colour you're going to spend a long time trying build up colours that might not get to where you want them in the end. Something to keep in mind. Also, as touched on before, they need to be kept sharp and used on paper with some texture in order to perform at their best. The more smooth the paper, the more likely the pencil will burnish quicker making it harder to build up layers a depth.

I think if I can begin to use them alongside my polychromos I could get some good work but I've yet to try and see if the wax and oil will mix well. I get the feeling that I might be using them in the wrong way because some people seem to love them. If you have any tips I'm all ears! Show me your ways. If my opinion changes over time I will be sure to let you know. At least I can say I have tried them now and for the price that I got them for, who can say no. All I have left to try is prismacolour, derwent inktense and drawing pencils. Let's be real though, Caran D'Ache Luminance are the ultimate dream.

Hazel, xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment