Wednesday 24 May 2017

Go Read 'Steal Like An Artist' by Austin Kleon


Looks as though we have the theme of stealing going for the month of May and this next post will be no expection. I finally purchased 'Steal Like An Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative' by Austin KLeon and it was an extremely quick but helpful read. I've been wanting to read it for a while and with all this talk about originality of ideas and stealing artwork I was reminded of the books existence.

The basis of the book discusses how no ideas are original. Everything comes from somewhere and it is only when you can't figure out where all the reference points are that people are fooled into thinking it's new. This concept isn't completely unknown to me. Back when I took a script writing class in university this was one of the first things our teacher told us. His words where closer to "don't try to wrack your brain for some that has never been done because everything has already been done before you. There are no new ideas so you may as well do what you want!" It can be quite a freeing and comforting thought if you let it. I with that thought I wrote a script that probably wouldn't be fit for a soap opera or channel 5 afternoon movie. Let's just say creative writing isn't where I was destined to go but at least the thought helped me get the job done. 

'Steal Like An Artist' in many ways reminds me of a more bizesize version of Elizabeth Gilbert's 'Big Magic' which I have previously raved about here. Both books cross over in many ways but I feel Kleon's book is more concentrated on the steps of how to become more creative whereas Gilbert questions creativity as a whole and is more anecdotally driven. I love both books for there own qualities but Kleon's book is definitely more suited for those who are itching to get stuff done more immediately. 



Some of the points that really resonated with me in the book where surrounding the chapter "Don't wait until you know who you are to get started". I know have been quite intimitated by the thought of creating personal artworks that represent me when sometimes I have felt I don't even have a firm grip on who I am. But quite rightly KLeon says that it's in the act of making work that we figure out who we are. Part of me wishes that one day I was going to have an epic epiphany and sing at the top of my lungs "I AM HHHHAAAZZZEELLLLLLLLLL!" in the style of Moana, without having to put any actual effort. I'm not exactly great at starting things. So when he touched on imposters syndrome in relation to all of this I felt like screaming "ME!" 

He also talked about stepping away from technology in order to be more hands on and uses technology for finishing work instead of doing it which is something I can definitely relate to. While writing essays at university I found it incredibily hard to sit at a computer and just churn it out. I didn't feel any connection to what I was writing and it usually turned into a bunch of waffle to make up the word count. Eventually I figured out the only way I could actually work on essays was if I split the work up so that most of time I was figuring out my layout, wording and references with paper and pen. Only when I had a better idea of what I was going to say could I step over to the computer and type it up. 

There are tons more things I could talk about from the book but then I might be verging on bad theft. All in all I really liked the book. It practices what it preaches and is filled with great quotes from other creatives and has a ton of great diagrams and drawings. It was a breeze to read yet it has plenty of substance. My favourite kind of book. Highly recommend it!

Hazel, xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment