Wednesday 2 November 2016

September and October Sketch a Day Faves

It's time to get all caught up with my sketch a day so I've decided to make a favourites post combining the last two months. Just didn't feel right to completely ignore those months and plus there are some pieces that I like from the small selection I did. If you would like to know why I haven't been drawing you can check out my last blog post. With that being said let's waste no more time and jump right in.


I probably don't need to explain why this is in my favourites. But what I will say is that I'm finally at the place where I don't just feel sadness looking at it. I think it could be one of my favourites of the year.


I conciously chose to draw this photograph because it felt like it was in line with the previous Aly and AJ portraits. Because of there composition and style they feel like a series to me. The reason I love drawing portraits is because as you are drawing them you get to see life come into them and even with the simplest expressions you can create underlying emotion. I wouldn't be as bold to say that I achieve this everytime but that's always the goal. Even though my style is in the realm of realistic I don't always see it as important to make the drawing identical to the reference but as long as I feel like I get the expression right I feel pleased with the work. And with this one I think I did.


For some reason everytime I get my hands on pastels I draw scenery with a hint of creepiness to it. I don't mean to. It just happens. I like how loose they feel and most of all I like the colours. I've got much improvement to do with pastels but I like how I've begun. When drawing with pastels I get the same sort of feeling I got when painting as a child in playgroup. Instead of being focus on the finished piece, I'm more invested in the experience of using them.


This canvas commission came at an ideal time. I was getting lazy and since this idea was presented to me all I needed to do was paint it on the canvas. No challenges, just a pleasure to paint! If you're interested in a commission, information is up on both the pricing list and the terms and conditions.  


If you haven't listened to the Hamilton soundtrack, I advise you do!! A rap/rnb musical about the rise and fall of American president Alexander Hamilton doesn't exactly make much sense on paper but to listen to it is a different story. I had to draw the amazing Lin-Manuel Miranda behind the show. He such a talented and admirable person. I was inspired to draw him after of course listening to the musical but also watching BethBeRad's Rad Portraits youtube series where she draws people she admires in different mediums. I used dipping pens and ink for this one. I like the cross hatching effect with the ink since it reminds me of the kind of portraits you find on the dollar bill.



These last two pieces where done with ink and waterbrush pens. Even though I used the wrong paper for both, the deer piece was a pleasant surprise since I had zero clues if it would turn into anything presentable but I really like the effect the brush strokes make. And the daschund piece just makes me smile. Such a happy looking dog it's hard not to. For about 20mins Steph and Dom from Googlebox followed me because of it. Such fleeting success. 

So the aim for the end of this month is to have a full selection of pieces to choose favourites from for the next favourites post. And as I said in my last post I'm going to get cracking on painting some Christmas decorations the minute bonfire night is out of the way! 

The penultimate month has begun!

Hazel, xoxo





No comments:

Post a Comment