Wednesday 2 November 2016

Let's Get Honest - Sketch A Day....yeah right?

It's been a while. I haven't posted a blog since the end of August and if you follow my #sketchaday2016 through any of my social media you will know that I have been slacking! I should probably change the hashtag to #sketchwhenibloodywellfeellikeit2016 because basically that's what it has become.

I've been in a rubbish mood/head space in regards to my drawing. By the end of September I went to put together a favourites and I felt like I had close to nothing. The feeling hasn't come from nowhere though. I made the conscious decision to take a break for a while at the beginning of September after a loss but when I started up again I struggled to draw anything and when I did most of the time I hated it and unfortunately that feeling of inadequacy hasn't shaken completely. 

Before September I drew things I wasn't 100% happy with but I managed to bounce back. But now even if I draw things I like I can't seem to carry to confidence through to the next piece and end up staring at a blank piece of paper. One of the main purposes of sketch a day was to raise my confidence with art and I felt like I was succeeding until September and now I'm starting to feel like I'm back at square one.

I think what annoyed me the most was when my nephew was born at the end of September I had planned to do sketch of him to mark the day. Sounds easy, right? What could possibly stand in my way. The ideas simple and formed and I've got the materials ready. Surprise, surprise... it didn't happen and so the alarm bells starring ringing. Not even inktober has got me out this over spilling September Slump like I hoped it would.

I'm not stopping completely though. I'm determined to see this through. In the next two months I hope to get things started back up again. I'm ready to get my Christmas ON!  I have a loose plan. This month I will be breaking out the pastels again and eventually will put together a blog post about my experience with them. I will also start painting my mdf christmas ornament shapes. Last year I did an Elf the movie one that I love so heres to many more. Maybe home alone... maybe miracle on 34th street, Jack Frost. I'm open to ideas. Knowing me though I will want to use the ink despite being resistant to it last month! And you know what I'm gonna let myself. I also have some square canvas and boards so if I can fit it in I'm gonna paint on one of them.

I will go on the record and say there will be no #sketchaday2017. I will continue drawing and painting but I don't feel the need for the hashtag next year. Also I feel like I need the freedom to draw things and not always upload it. Plus everyday posts can get very annoying for everyone.

With all that being said you will be hearing from me very soon. Definitely won't be leaving it this long next time!

Hazel, xoxo



No comments:

Post a Comment