Thursday 30 June 2016

June Sketch a Day Faves

It blows my mind how fast time goes. It feels like yesterday I set myself the #sketchaday2016 challenge and we are already half way through the year. Granted I haven't kept up my end of the new year's resolution fully but that's just a minor detail.  I still hold myself to the challenge in spirit! 

Anyway... This month has been a month of canvas gifts, pencil sketches and promarker exploration!  I've also been quite heavy in the portraits area and even though I want to broaden my subject matter, portraits will always be my favourite thing to do.  I grudge having to stop myself from doing what comes naturally to me. Faces are just the best! 

So here are my favourites of June!



At the start of this month I managed to hold myself to the goal of painting some canvases. Both of these canvas where painted as birthday gifts, tailored for each person's loves. The first being the Marvel universe's Christophers (minus Chris Pratt unfortunately) and the second being little Holly! Overall I was happy with how they turned out despite time constraints due to last minute planning. Definitely going to do more canvases soon! 




After over a month of painting with watercolour I wanted to go back to some old standbys. Pencil drawings are the foundation of my skills so it is always a pleasure to go back to them. However recently I feel like the pencils just don't have the contrast in tones that I want to achieve so that is where charcoal comes in. I'm not great with charcoal, mainly because I feel like I have less control over details. But the contrast in tones is so much easier to achieve, especially with the toned paper and use of white charcoal.

My intention was to stick with graphite and charcoal for most of the month but I craved colour after using the watercolours for so long so decided it was time to go back to markers. And so with that thought I ordered a bunch from Cass Art.


With my promarker phase came my craving to draw old Hollywood actresses. Even though I like my Liz Taylor and Sophia Loren ones, Vivien Leigh is definitely my favourite out of the three. I just love the colours and facial expression. 


Who knew that if you drew a hippy van that pro marjuana Instagram accounts would take notice. Good to know!



These last two pieces are by far my favourites of the month. I didn't think I would be able to achieve any sort of style that resembled realism with markers but I've pleasantly surprised myself. 

My next goals are to paint on some bigger canvases but also start to draw some original pieces and by that I mean using my own references instead of secondary ones. I also want to start drawing a wider variety of people instead of just the white female. 
Side note - When I bought a pack of skintoned markers it only had tones to draw white skin which is completely ridiculous. Yes I could probably buy individual colours to widen the skin tone colours I have but you would have thought that they could have sold a bigger set to incorporate the mutiple skin tones there are instead of just ivory and pinks. Rant over!

On to July!

Hazel, xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment