Sunday 1 January 2017

Sketch A Day 2016 Favourites


I knew about half way through 2016 that eventually I was going to put together a favourites of the whole year.  I could see my drawings start to bundle up in scraps of paper and sketch pads. And I can't believe it's already 2017 and it's time to pick out my favourites. So I sat looking over all the drawings and paintings which got me reminiscing of where I was and how I felt when I did them. I have finally managed to narrow it down to the 16 pieces that are within this blog post. 

Funnily enough these pieces where all done from May onwards. Not that I don't like the drawings I did from January to April - in fact there are a few pencil drawings I did of my family from old photographs that I really love for sentimental reasons but they didn't quite make the cut. With the ones I have chosen I feel like I stepped out of my comfort zone and showed improvement in technical skill as well as just loving how they turned out. And most of all I remember drawing and painting them and what I was feeling and thinking.

These are my #sketchaday2016 favourites!









As you can see a large bulk of these are portraiture which is to be expected since I always gravitate towards portraiture. But I've also grown to love landscapes, scenery and animal portraits this year too. I'm glad I managed to step away from portraiture enough to try some different subject matter to help improve my skills all round. 

I was also interested to see what other people's favourites where this year. According to Instagram these are my best nine posts from 2016. There's definite colour scheme going on here.

Here are the best nine from Facebook. Slightly different but also a few in common.


And finally the Tumblr favourites which has been heavily affected by fandoms. The Always doe piece got 149 notes thanks to all those Harry Potter fans out there.  



Across all the social medias it's been a good year! Since I'm not continuing with the sketch a day this year there won't be a favourites like this anytime soon. But I will definitely keep posting when inspiration hits! My next post will be recapping on the year! 

Hazel, xoxo





No comments:

Post a Comment