Thursday 21 April 2016

Make A Splash - Getting out the Watercolour Paints

Watercolour painting by Hazel Stewart, Age 9

Cass Art have started the Make A Splash campaign to encourage people to experiment with watercolour painting. So I've dusted off my Grandma's old watercolours hidden away in my cupboard and decided it's time to challenge myself.

Watercolour has never been a medium in which I was completely comfortable with. Since it was my Grandma's chosen medium you would think I would take to it like a duck to water. I was surrounded by it and so I would have picked up some tricks. Subconsciously maybe they're in there somewhere. As you have seen from my sketch a day I have tried watercolour pencils and sometimes achieve good results. However I've always preferred acrylics since they have a strong colour pay off or pencils for their precision.

To some it up I like to have the control. With watercolour, especially since I'm pretty much new to it, I have none of it. The water chooses to do whatever the hell it likes and nine times out ten it's not what I want it to do. But hopefully as time goes on we can reach some type of agreement both the paints and I.




I'm four days in and I'm starting to understand a couple of things. The one thing that really bugs me though is the fact that the white paint is next to useless if I'm applying acrylic techniques. I'm probably going to have to invest in masking fluid because I'm not quite grasping that if I paint over the surface of the paper it will never go back to anywhere near as light as it was before. Even if I put white paint on top. Automatic pilot is clearly sabotaging me.

My hope is that one day it will all just click into place like I've figured out the DiVinci Code and I look like Phoebe from Charmed having a premonition when it happens.  

Hazel, xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment